[rescue] Compaq Raid - Came w/ an Alpha Server

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Thu May 1 17:29:37 CDT 2003

On Thursday 01 May 2003 22:44, Simeon Johnston wrote:
> We got a bunch of AlphaServers and this raid box.  At least I think it's
> a raid box, maybe it's just a hot swap back plane thing.

Nope it's just a disk shelf (hot swap capable).

> Basically, all I've found is that it can take 7 drives or 6 w/ a
> redundant power supply.  The controller in the box may or may not be a
> raid controller, but a "Personality" device (WTF is that?).

The "personality" device is simply how the backplane is converted into
whatever variety of SCSI is required.

> Can anyone give me/point me to specifics on what exactly this is, what
> it can be used with and how the set it up?

It's just a disk box, so there's no setup required. Just plug it in, and go.

If you've got the pedestal variety, you can tug off (with some force) the top
and foot to get a rack-mountable one ... well sort of. It'll fit into an
AS4000 and the like.

> What I'd LIKE to do with it is hook it up to our fileserver, which is
> running dangerously low on space.  I'd love to setup the Alpha's and do
> something with those, but I got nothing to use them for.

What about a fileserver ? You haven't said what you've got but they're usually
pretty solid boxes.