[rescue] Wit's end -- Indigo2

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Thu May 1 11:05:56 CDT 2003

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 11:58:08AM -0400, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 10:52 AM, Joshua Newton wrote:
>
> >I think you're looking for one of these:
> >
> >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/
> >eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3409571334&category=11160
> >
> Yeah I suppose... at the time I bought these I was just getting into
> SCA drives and didn't realize I needed to terminate on the board or
> externally.  I figured I'd just jumper the last drive in the chain.
> They really should come auto-sense like Jaz drives.  The last device in
> the chain auto-magically terminates itself with onboard active
> termination.  I see no reason why they can't do this technically....and
> further if this isn't working have a jumper to disable it and use
> external termination (for drives that have term circuitry failing)

I never bought a Jaz drive, but the onboard termination on Zip drives
was notoriously unreliable.  Iomega tried to ignore the problem almost
as hard as they tried to ignore the Click Of Death problem.  I'd hate to
rely on a Jaz to automagically terminate my bus, having had a bus go
haywire on me once for no apparent reason before I learned about the
shortcomings of Zip internal termination.