[rescue] Rescue my HP NetServer Storage System/6 RAID chassis

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Fri Mar 28 11:42:37 CST 2003

I posted this here previously, but the original respondent has ceased to
answer email and is presumed to have lost interest, so I'm reposting it.

I have a HP Storage System/6 external RAID chassis, new in slightly
battered box.  NOS, basically.  It ought to work with anything with a
wide-SCSI controller, including Suns.  It has 6 hot-swap 3.5" bays, two
5.25" half-height fixed bays, and dual redundant power supplies.  I
don't remember without unpacking it whether the hot-swap bays are on the
same SCSI chain as the fixed bays or not, but my recollection is that
they're not.

It has been powered up to verify that it works, but has not otherwise
been used.  The only caveat is it doesn't include the HP hot-swap disk
trays, so you'd have to come up with trays for it yourself.  This is in
fact the only reason I'm not using it myself -- I haven't had the money
to spare over the past 19 months to get hold of the correct HP hot-swap
disk trays.  I have lots of unused Sun spuds, but they unfortunately
won't work, and frankly, at this point I have enough RAID storage on
other systems that I have no need to power up the HP chassis anyway.

It sold for $1000 new, when you could buy them new.  It is shippable,
but the shipping would not be cheap.  I'd like to get a couple of
hundred out of it after shipping, but don't have a firm number in mind
-- I'll take what I can get, within reason, including trades for
hardware we *can* use (although we need money more than we need more
hardware -- I've been out of work for 19 months and we're flat broke).
Local pickup, or possibly even delivery, can be arranged if you're
within reasonable driving distance of east-central North Carolina,