[rescue] Loudness of Netra T1 AC200

Geoff geoff at hasker.net
Tue Mar 25 17:58:10 CST 2003

I am looking at getting some kind of Sun box for a personal webserver.
Eventually, I intend for the load to get rather high (~3000 database driven
page hits per day).  The Netra T1 AC200 looks pretty nice for my needs, but
I am wondering how loud the box really is.  The ambient noise ratings mean
nothing to me.  I am not really sensitive to noise, but I will be in the
same room with it a lot of the time.  Will it be louder than my Ultra 30 and
3Com 3300 Switch?  I am sort of freaked out about the noise generated by 1U
machines because an Apple rep told me to stay away from the Xserve when I
was looking for video workstations because it is 1U with substantial blowers
and thus extremely loud.  Then again, Apple users tend to have no tolerance
for a little sound.

Thanks for your input,

Geoff
geoff at hasker.net