[rescue] QIC-11 on a SparcStation ?

PurpleT3K purpletwilight3000 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 20 07:38:27 CST 2003

I'm trying to get an old Sun shoebox working with
a SPARCstation 1+, so I can access the QIC tape
drive - and create some boot tapes for a Sun 3.

The shoebox contains a tape drive and 3 boards,
two for the tape controller (Archive) and the
other for a built in disk drive. Ive disabled the
disk-drive board by removing the SCSI plug.

Running the sparcstation 1+ with the unit
connected (and terminated), running

>probe-scsi

gives me the drives built into the SS, and
Target4 (with no information) is recognised.

Ive rebuilt the SS kernel with all the Generic
components.

Unfortunately, running

mt -f /dev/rst0 status

just gives me 'No such device or address'

Is there something else I need to do to enable
this? As far as I know the tape drive is OK
and should work on a Sparcstation 1, even though
its old.

Cheers

Ian.