[rescue] NetApp F720 followup

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Wed Mar 19 19:06:50 CST 2003

Hi Lads

Thanks to everyone who helped with my previous question about the NetApp
F720 filer.

I did buy the system and ended up paying ~350USD. I probably overpaid a
little but it did come with a Cu FCAL cable for the F7 drive shelf.
Everything seems to be working fine except for a dud disk (I get a "1 disk
broken" message on the LCD). However it is only a 9GB disk so I'm not too
worried.

Opening the F720 was quite interesting. The motherboard appears to be a
custom-made NetApp design, so it isn't suprising that ONTAP is the only
supported OS. Despite the large number of expansion slot covers on the
back, there are only two 32-bit PCI slots and two 64-bit PCI slots (one of
which is occupied by a riser card). There is room for many more slots but
they have not been attached to the solder pads. The interior is a very
clean design (probably because of the system's simplicity) and the air flow
is excellent.

I'm looking foward to getting to grips with this unit and apologise in
advance for any dumb questions I may end up asking the list.

Best regards,

Gavin