[rescue] pls forgive dumb TEST msg, and a q conc. OSX + G3/300

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Tue Mar 18 11:41:32 CST 2003

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 09:47:51AM -0700, deanders at pcisys.net wrote:
> >Well, you can run Nextstep for x86 - I have a copy of 3.2 around here
> >somewhere.  But you have to be very careful about the hardware- there
> >are not many drivers.
>
> Potentially stupid question: is there a good listing of compatible hardware
> somewhere? I did some poking around with Google, but could only find bits
> and pieces.

Unfortunately you will only be able to find bits and pieces.

Essentially, though, for graphics cards you can use most ATI "Mach32"
cards and the Viper 9000 cards, along with most S3 8xx and 9xx series
cards.  These are the local-bus and first gen PCI cards.  For enet,
DEC tulip and Cogent 10Mbps cards were well supported, I think.

I had good results with a no-name mobo, though apparently there are
some gotchas in that department.

If you can, lay your hands on NS 3.3 or better yet the 4.x series.
3.3+ has MIME support in the email client.

Cordially
| Patrick Giagnocavo, patrick at zill.net             |
| Zill.Net - OpenACS, Postgres, Python hosting     |
| OpenACS v4 shared server       $19.95/month      |
| Colocation w/30GB transfer     $99.00/month      |
| Managed servers (incl. system) $175/month        |