[rescue] sparc trouble (yet again)...

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Tue Mar 18 10:01:56 CST 2003

On Tuesday 18 March 2003 00:52, David Holland wrote:
> > Hm, newer sparcbooks use ide. You mean they they use a scsi controller
> > and a scsi-ide convertor or something?
>
> I've _heard_ (forget where now) that the connection was something like
> this:
>
> SCSI controller->SCSI "cable/ribbon"->SCSI2IDE Converter->IDE Drive.
>
> However, I also admit, I've never seen one.  I've a moldy old SparcBook
> (doesn't even run Solaris) up in a closet somewhere, that doesn't have
> those converters as far as I can tell either..

In those days they still produced scsi drives. I guess when Apple stopped
putting scsi in their powerbooks it became cheaper for Tadpole/Rdi to use ide
disks in their 'books and using scsi controllers and convertors instead of
putting ide controllers on them for some reason.

> If the "drive" connector is 40 pin, Its IDE, and you might be able to
> find an adaptor, and test the drive out on a PC to verify its not the
> Sparc still somehow.

I wonder how power is dealt with? Ide needs an extra cable for power. The
adaptor probable forsees this too...

> At this point, I'd be about ready to give up, but not before
> disassembling the whole thing, and cleaning every contact/connector I
> could find....
> David

Been there...

I took a REALLY ugly "I'll shred you" look at the drive and got it back
working again *pfew*. Happy end :)

--
Frank Van Damme
http://www.openstandaarden.be