[rescue] sparc trouble (yet again)...

David Holland dholland at woh.rr.com
Mon Mar 17 17:52:15 CST 2003

> > I would assume a 'probe-scsi' doesn't show much of anything?
>
> 0 lines of output indeed. Sparc seems to have a lot of diagnostic tools
> "on-board" :)

OBP is a implementation of the forth programming language, if you felt
like programming in it, but it appears the drive is definitely not
talking to the sparc.

> > <snip>
> >
> > > No, they aren't. But those convertors alone cost 150$/$ or something.
> >
> > Yeah, they're 80(something)$ over here.  However, it was my impression
> > that they were detachable in (some of) the sparcbooks.    Doesn't sound
> > like it is in your case.
>
> Hm, newer sparcbooks use ide. You mean they they use a scsi controller and a
> scsi-ide convertor or something?

I've _heard_ (forget where now) that the connection was something like
this:

SCSI controller->SCSI "cable/ribbon"->SCSI2IDE Converter->IDE Drive.

However, I also admit, I've never seen one.  I've a moldy old SparcBook
(doesn't even run Solaris) up in a closet somewhere, that doesn't have
those converters as far as I can tell either..

If the "drive" connector is 40 pin, Its IDE, and you might be able to
find an adaptor, and test the drive out on a PC to verify its not the
Sparc still somehow.

At this point, I'd be about ready to give up, but not before
disassembling the whole thing, and cleaning every contact/connector I
could find....
David