[rescue] sparc trouble (yet again)...

David Holland dholland at woh.rr.com
Mon Mar 17 15:09:35 CST 2003

Not being familiar w/ most of the SparcBooks, pardon me if this is a
little vague, but this is my 0.002$ (american, extra zero intentional)

Is there a 'test esp' command in the OBP?

There should at least be a test-all (or is it 'test all' - I forget -
sorry)

If there's a external SCSI port, and you have the drive/media available,
you could plug in a external CDROM, and try booting from it.   That
would at least narrow it down to SCSI controller vs. drive failure.

I'd also try listening very carefully to see if the drive is spinning
up.  You can (usually) hear the heads seeking when the drive gets up to
speed.

I'm guessing the drive died on you.  (Mebbe it overheated?)

I remember vague rumors of some of the sparcbooks using "regular" laptop
IDE drives w/ a IDE/SCSI translator board plugged into the back of them,
if your lucky, and its just the drive, IDE laptop drives aren't terribly
difficult to come by (at least here in the states)

David