[rescue] sparc trouble (yet again)...

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Mon Mar 17 14:43:31 CST 2003

It must be nature's way of telling me I deserved it or something.

I was happily typing in commands under linux on my sparcbook (rdi powerlite
110) when I got a message like this on the console:

esp0: can't access device

or something similar. I don't remember the exact error phrase, but it came
down to it that I suddenly couldn't read the disk anymore. No kernel
panics/oopses, just this error. I turned took the laptop home and opened it
(I thought the hd might have lost connection to the board or something). I
took the harddisk out, it showed no signs of physical damage, neither does
the board. Booting of the hard disk is impossible: entering "boot disk" (my
standard way to use this hard disk) outputs:

Boot device: /iommu/sbus/espdma at 4,8400000/esp at 4,8800000/sd at 3,0

Can't open boot device

Hard disk makes no funny noises...

Does someone know these symptoms? I can't run vi under the openboot prom...
And I' was/am so proud of my sparcbook annex collectors item   :'-(

--
Frank Van Damme
http://www.openstandaarden.be