[rescue] Indy Questions....

William Enestvedt Will.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Mon Mar 17 07:27:52 CST 2003

> Anyone know what these Cyclone Colorbus cards/software are good
> for?  I gather they're some sort of printer interfaces, but
> beyond that I've little idea what they're good for?

   In my experience, the Cyclone Colorbus was a RIP for a Canon color copier
being used as an output device. The Colorbus software let you spool jobs,
rerun them, investigate print errors, output PS files or TIFFs, etc., etc.
(The copy of Photoshop is probably there so that you could mess around with
the TFFs before printing them. Some CLCs acted as scanners, too, with the
stylus & grid built into the top cover: cool.)
   I worked at a service bureau some years ago, and for a while we had a
little Indy hooked up to our CLCs this way. Cute logo, too: a tiny, fat
schoolbus with a friendly smile, a la Sesame Street.
   I dunno what a home/SOHO user would do with it, other than maybe if you did
design work and wanted something to dedicate to driving a color copier as a
printer. (Stands aside to let a stampede of corrections come by...)
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator