[rescue] SparcEngine question

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Sun Mar 16 16:54:54 CST 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-16 at 15:40, Dave McGuire wrote:
>    It's not that unusual a bus...it's just not found (or really targeted
> for) mainstream desktop or computer room use.  Because of this, though,
> the production volumes of CompactPCI equipment tend to be much lower
> than the stuff we're used to, and the applications much more demanding
> in terms of reliability and such, so the prices tend to be very high.
>
>    CompactPCI chassis show up regularly on eBay.  Expect to spend >$200
> for one.

The CP1500 is also used in the SF15k i'm told.  They're made for telco's
and such as well.  It would make a great router.  I just got one (very
similar to the one that Paul Hortiatis posted earlier in the thread
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3402162977) BIN of
$190 on ebay, IMHO it was a steal.  It takes mezzanine memory like a
netra t1, the console cable is a mini-din serial.  I also picked up an
additional 256MB mezz module for it, and i'll be replacing the hard
drives before it replaces my co-lo'ed ss10.  (ISP is moving equipment,
and i need to get a rackmount machine, the ss10 does the job wonderfully
but isn't rackmount, and the cp1500 rocks.)  So far, i like the machine
a LOT.

	-Dan Sikorski