[rescue] SparcEngine question

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Mar 16 14:40:54 CST 2003

On Sunday, March 16, 2003, at 03:36 AM, Gavin Hubbard wrote:
> I know that a SparcEngine uses a fairly unusual bus (IIRC compact
> PCI?).
> But I still thought the following EBay auction price was fairly
> impressive.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/
> eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20314&item=3404834356
>
> Is there any cheap (i.e. rescue type) way to get a PSU and backplane
> for
> these boards?

   It's not that unusual a bus...it's just not found (or really targeted
for) mainstream desktop or computer room use.  Because of this, though,
the production volumes of CompactPCI equipment tend to be much lower
than the stuff we're used to, and the applications much more demanding
in terms of reliability and such, so the prices tend to be very high.

   CompactPCI chassis show up regularly on eBay.  Expect to spend >$200
for one.

          -Dave