[rescue] I need a couple of spuds please.

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Wed Mar 12 18:33:06 CST 2003

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
>
> > Those look like SSA "spuds" not U1/U2/multipack/etc spuds...
>
> > I've heard the SSA "spuds" will not work in the systems.
>
> > Anyone confirm/deny this ?
>
> I got one once to work in an Ultra 1.  Once.
> It was a bonehead maneuver on my part.  I did get the
> drivein the bay, but I wasn't getting it back out.
> Oops. =)  But basically, no SSA spuds don't like U1/U2/etc.
>
> --Kurt

a slight modification to the SSA type makes them both insertable and
removable from U1 or other newer slots.  on each side you file off two
little bumps in the plastic on the top and and two on the bottom (top
and bottom defined as how they sit in an U1) and then file off two
round bumps on each side.  the dimensions of the main rails work fine,
its the little bumps that cause the binding and make them non-removable.
the file on my swiss army knive can get rid of all 12 bumps in about 5
minutes or so, and a bastard file does it in less than 2 minutes.  now
the drives can be pushed in and removed easily.  (note that the nice
extraction action when you open the flap doesn't work, but it's easy
to pull the drive out when you pull on the flap).  also the latch doesn't
work, but i've had some clone latches of the new type that don't work
either when the plasic spring fatigues. anyway, if you're cheap, then
this is a way to make the SSA type work.

-ron