[rescue] Sgi Indigo 2 hardware questions

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed Mar 12 08:08:44 CST 2003

"Curtis H. Wilbar Jr." <rescue at hawkmountain.net> wrote:

> I thought the IP22/26/28 listed by hinv was representative of the
> processor.

It is, but only by major revision.  It is actually more indicitive of the
*type* of processor.  Actually, it's more indicitive of the processor board
- as Jonathan explained.

> I thought that the processor module could be changed, that a R10K module
> could be installed into a system that had an R4K.  If I understand you
> correctly, the mainboards and modules can not be interchanged.  If that
> is the case, then the max upgrade within any board would be the highest
> speed/highest cache size module made in that processor type ?

That's correct.  An processor board with an R4k processor cannot take an
R10k processor.  Aside from the physical impossibility of actually plugging
it in, the chipset on the processor board can't support it.  Likewise, a
board designed for an R10k cannot take an R4k processor.

--
Kurt                 " Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to flagellate
kurt at k-huhn.com        myself with a soldering iron."