[rescue] VRMs for Quad PPro-Board...

Marc Gutschner Marc.Gutschner at Triplan.COM
Wed Mar 12 02:36:29 CST 2003

Hi!

Sorry if this question is considered obscene ( ;-) ) but the discussion on
Intel-based SMP-Systems encouraged me to ask it here...

I've a Unisys Aquanta QR/6 in the basement that came with one PPro200,
SL22Z-Stepping w/ 512KB cache and 1/2 GB RAM with room for another 512MB. To
max-out the system to 4 CPUs I've acquired a couple of matching CPUs and
VXI-made VRMs (part # 073-20715-02). When I put these parts in the box for a
test-drive, the "System Health Monitor" instantly barfs at me because the
core voltage for the added CPUs is way out of spec. The CPUs are fed
anything from 3.8V to 4.1V. When replacing the existing VRM with one of the
VXI parts, the known-good CPU shows exactly the same symptoms, i.e. core
voltage out of spec. From this I gather that the VRM probably doesn't sense
the correct VID, although the data-sheet says it is compliant to Intels
VRM8.1 spec.

So now to my question: Does anyone know if the Aquanta QR/6 needs some
"magic VRM" or can the VXI VRMs be hacked/modified to supply the correct
voltage? Currently
my mind spins around the fact that the existing (working) VRM carries a
small '3.3V VRM' label.

MTIA for any hints,
Marc

--