[rescue] SGI Indigo 2 question

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Mar 11 12:23:08 CST 2003

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> OK, so I'm going through all these Indigo 2 boxes... I have one Teal
> with the newer power supply (385 watt) but with the old backplane...
> I assume it will not do Impact graphics, correct ?

It will not do impact graphics without an impact-ready midplane.

> When should this be connected to the backplane, and when should it not ????

It should be connected to an impact-ready midplane only.  Impact
graphics drinks a -lot- more electricity than Extreme or XZ, and that
auxiliary power connector supplies current to the middle block of pins
on an impact-ready midplane.

--
Jonathan Patschke  *)  "They're like candy for your ass."
Thorndale, TX      (*                       --Doc Shipley