[rescue] Cool new gadget

William Enestvedt Will.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Tue Mar 11 09:37:10 CST 2003

> Those games were running > a decade ago on pre-CD Macs. In
> fact, Oregon Trail celebrated its 20th anniversary a
> good 5 years ago.

   Well, _that_ I knew, since I played them in, um, 1981?

> ...the first version which somehow ran on teletype
> machines before Macs, PCs, or even Apple II days.

   I can't imagine how that must have worked, nor how engaging it might have
been for the kids.

> I have always wondered what they meant by "played on teletype
> machines" since they were dumb terminals.  I presume that they
> ran they game, and schools connected to it with TT.

   Perhaps it was just a text adventure without the exciting "pound on the
keyboard like a wild money" deer-hunting scene, or the maps.
   Want me to ask her?
-wde
P.S. This reminds me: I've hear about Space War on the PDP(?) but just how
much computer game-playing really went on thirty years ago?
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator