[rescue] Cool new gadget

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Tue Mar 11 09:24:42 CST 2003

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:39:33 -0500
"William Enestvedt" <Will.Enestvedt at jwu.edu> wrote:

>   Happily, those games, written a good half-dozen years ago for Macs
>   that
> have since turned a dusky olive color, still run on my current iMac
> under OS X!
> -wde
> --
> Will Enestvedt
> UNIX System Administrator
> Johnson & Wales University -- Providence, RI

Will, I hate to break it to you, but those games aren't that new.  You
are older than you think -)  Those games were running > a decade ago on
pre-CD Macs.  In fact, Oregon Trail celebrated its 20th anniversary a
good 5 years ago.  The 20th anniversary edition came in a wooden box
that talked about the first version which somehow ran on teletype
machines before Macs, PCs, or even Apple II days.

I have always wondered what they meant by "played on teletype machines"
since they were dumb terminals.  I presume that they ran they game, and
schools connected to it with TT.

On a side note, Reader Rabbit pre-school edition has the best UI for
tiny tikes, bar none.  My daughter was running it on my arcade cabinet
with the trackball before she could comprehend a mouse button. (in fact
she still has problems with a standard mouse, she gets it backwards
(tail toward her) and gets all frustrated when it moves backwards.

Tim