[rescue] Re: Octane woes

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Thu Mar 6 19:53:36 CST 2003

Thanks to all....

After carefully reseating everything, it seems that the mainboard is difficult
to get seated properly.  Despite the fact that the "latches" latch... it must
not have been seated that last 0.01 inch....  I pushed hard hard hard on
the board and it seated just a little more... that was the ticket... it is
live again....

Now, can anyone say how to identify the troublesome IP30 mainboard ?

Is it expensive for a dual processor module ?  what about R12K modules ?

Wouldn't mind finding better graphics too...  ESI can have or not have
the TRAM I believe... how can I tell if I have TRAM  (w/o an OS loaded) ?

-- Curt

>From: Gavin Hubbard <ghub005 at xtra.co.nz>
>To: <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 14:45:22 +1300
>Subject: [rescue] Re: Octane woes
>
>> Ok... so I got this nifty Octane.... other than needing an OS loaded it
>> seemed fine.
>>
>> So, finding information that indicates there are different power supply
>> revs, motherboard revs, etc and wanting to find out exactly what I have,
>> I pulled the power supply, XIO board slots, and cpu board.... wrote down
>> all the information... put it all back together... and
>

>Hi
>
>Did you remember to remove the power cord before you pulled the boards out??
>
>If you leave the power cord plugged in and the wall-socket turned on, you can
easily kill the system board simply by removing it. A small amount of power
continues to flow in the system even when it is turned off.