[rescue] OSU surplus store (was Re: Origin 200 - flaky serial console)

Robert F. Schaefer rschaefe at gcfn.org
Thu Mar 6 18:30:51 CST 2003

> > Where is the OSU surplus store?
>
> Umm, I can't remember the name of the road, but it's on the "West Campus".
> Take Lane Ave from High Street, heading West, go under I-70, take the
first
> right turn, and look for the sign in the first clump of metal buildings
> about 0.25 miles down on the right.

Kenny Road.  There's a right-hand turn lane, turn there.  The building is
immediately on the right, up a little ramp to a loading dock with steps
beside it, parking is a few spaces on the left as you drive in, or on the
berm if you get there Tuesday morning...

> Open Tues-Weds-Thurs from 8:30 AM, IIRC.  They stock the store only on
> Monday, so there's always a line of folks waiting to get in on Tuesday
> morning.  Checks only, no cash or credit cards.

New day (note: no `s'): Tuesday.  They take money orders too, and will hold
something for a day if you ask them to.

> You can go weeks without finding anything but crappy office furniture and
> dodgy Intel PCs, then OSU'll decommission a computer lab, and the surplus
> store will have a pallet of SPARCstations all at once....

They had a Crimson a few months ago.  Alas, I didn't get there in time.  :(

> Generally, a CPU is $10, unless it's fancy ($20) or they have a bunch of
> them ($5) or it's been sitting around for a long time ($5, sometimes
free).
> Well, they were two years ago, anyway.

Alas, prices have gone up slightly.  By the time I get there, I figure all
the great deals are gone, so whatever's left is on the high side, and shop
accordingly.  The place is *busy* in the morning, of so I've been told by
someone who makes it frequently.

> The rules used to be that you couldn't open the boxes, any CPU got a

I've never had a problem poping a case to peek inside.

Bob