[rescue] Origin 200 - flaky serial console

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Thu Mar 6 11:20:21 CST 2003

Steve Hatle writes ...
> On 3/6/03 10:32 AM, "Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at cmhcsys.com> wrote:
> >
> > You ought to go to the Hamvention in Dayton, OH, then.
>
> > Real deals on stuff, too.
> >

> Is it worth it as far as the kind of stuff people on this list
> like to find,
> that is non-Intel computers, etc.? Don't have any interest in the
> radio end of it myself.

It varies.  Much more PC stuff than non-PC stuff, of course, but there's
always a smattering of Sun and SGI, maybe a few IBM S/xx and RS/xxxx
machine, some networking gear, etc.  You never know.  Some of it goes
_really_ cheap at the ends of the show, when the seller has to face packing
it up and taking it home.  One year, I could have bought several of those
"giant PC" IBM AS/400 units for $20 each on the Sunday.

I bought a SPARCstation LX there ($40 four years ago), two different piles
of 411 cases ($5 each, with working HDs, tape drives, etc.), various SCSI
CD-ROMs (cheap), Sun bits, etc.  Since I also have Intel stuff, I've bought
some of that, too.  Tools, too, like a set of every weird "security"
screwdriver bit you've ever seen.

I haven't been in a couple of years, so I don't know how "worth the trip" it
would be for you these days; there's no knowing what's going to be there,
what of that you might actually _see_, or what you need/want.

Personally, I like looking.  I'm not a ham, though I do have a couple of
shortwave receivers, but I like the kind of old radio stuff they have, and
all the other general geekery, too.

Although it might have value as a "look, honey, I'm not so weird after all"
lesson, do not take your wife, unless she really likes that sort of thing.
It's mostly outdoors in a huge parking lot, it's usually hot, the toilets
can be primitive, and Martha Stewart wouldn't be caught dead in Dayton, much
less at the Hamvention.  Do take your scrounging buddies, though....

-Shel