[rescue] Origin 200 - flaky serial console

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Thu Mar 6 10:32:49 CST 2003

Joshua D. Boyd said ...
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 11:14:37AM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> > On Thursday, March 6, 2003, at 05:26 AM, P Nutton wrote:
> > > Are these the same as were used on the IPX/LX, Sun part number
> > > 530-1662? I
> > > have a box full which I picked up at a car boot sale (what's the US
> > > equivalent, auto trunk sale?)
> >
> >    In the US they're generally called "flea markets", or if they're
> > radio-oriented, "hamfests".  Needless to say, your UK terminology makes
> > MUCH more sense.
>
> The few I've been to haven't been from peoples cars.  Maybe I've only
> been to the wrong sort.

You ought to go to the Hamvention in Dayton, OH, then.  A multi-acre parking
lot of folks selling old stuff, mostly radio gear and computers, but also
tools, specialty vehicles, and other things that appeal to the target
market.  Some of the vendors are "just guys" selling stuff out of the back
of their cars, while some are major vendor's large tents with real displays,
etc.

It's a fantastic experience.  You not only get to see the Ham Radio looney
fringe (guys wearing aluminium hardhats with handy-talkie antennas on top)
but also some stuff you'd never see elsewhere, like the Enigma encryption
machine one chap was showing off a couple of years ago.

Real deals on stuff, too.

I lived in Columbus, Ohio from '97-'01; the two things I miss most are the
OSU surplus store ($5 SPARCstations!) and the Hamvention....

-Shel