[rescue] Help ressurecting a "dead" Wyse 60 terminal...

William Enestvedt Will.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Mon Mar 3 08:40:02 CST 2003

> I just saw a DEC terminal manual (for the VT420, IIRC) that
> discussed disposal of a bad CRT - they said that you should
> take a pair of pliers, snip off the little "encapsulation"
> "nub" and release the magic. An uncompressed CRT is probably
> not a problem.
>
> They also mentioned putting the tube in a box, with just the
> "yoke" exposed...

   Since that manual was written, a lot of states have started thinking about
following in the (tiny, size-5) footsteps of Rhode Island, and outlawing the
landfill of CRTs. Their big concern, as I understand it, is all the lead dust
inside the tube [1]. However, they do have one day a month where you can bring
old computer junk to the central dump and leave it in a trailer, no questions
asked.

> > I'd love to pitch mine, but no one in the county will take
> > an old TV or anything else with a CRT in it.

   Check the web for a site by your state's solid waste disposal department,
or recycling command, or whatever they're called. (In Little Rhodey, it's the
Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation at www.rirrc.org. And they wonder
why no one finds their web pages?)
   Anyway, that's the one honest way to get rid of 'em these days.
-wde
Note 1: See http://www.rirrc.org/site/hg/computer_factsheet.asp for more
details: "Is there life after death for this tech trash? Yes. Recycling and
reusing electronic equipment are more beneficial options than disposal." Damn
betcha.
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator