[rescue] Re: I/O coprocessors?

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Sun Mar 2 22:06:30 CST 2003

>I'm probably completely misunderstanding your question, but many midrange
*nix systems have separate dedicated I/O processors. A great example are
modern HP 9000 boxes which have a GSP (Guardian Service Processor).
Basically a small computer within a computer, it handles all console I/O
and provides a watchdog timer as well as logging chassis fault codes and a
million other useful things. The newer GSPs even have an inbuilt http
server that pushes out a Java based console interface through a dedicated
ethernet port. Even the low-end HP 9000 boxes (rp2430 etc) have this
technology.

I was thinking more along the lines of purpose designed silicon to offload
I/O from smallish CPUs.  Sounds like this GSP is based on a fairly standard
micro.

newell

[Hmmm...Eudora didn't do a very good job with the message quote, did it?]