[rescue] quad 486

jwbirdsa at picarefy.com jwbirdsa at picarefy.com
Mon Feb 24 17:50:53 CST 2003

   I recently revived a dual 486 Compaq Systempro. Each processor is on its
own daughterboard and it certainly looks like the daughterboards include
cache. Sadly, the boards aren't spaced quite far apart enough to get a
Kingston K5 upgrade on the second one, so it's running asymmetrical right
now, with a K5 on the primary board and a 486DX2/66 on the secondary. (There
isn't enough room for a 486DX4/100, either -- same problem as the K5, both
include a PCB, processor, heatsink, and fan, which makes them very tall.)
I was very surprised to discover that NT4, which didn't come out until well
after this machine was obsolete, includes a HAL for it out of the box.
(Yeah, I know, but I need Windows for the purposes that this box is
intended to serve.)

   --James B.