[rescue] Re: Wanted - Dual (or quad) PPro

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Fri Feb 21 01:22:06 CST 2003

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 08:00:02PM +1300, Gavin Hubbard wrote:
> That sounds like a really interesting system Sridhar. How on earth did you
> get the PIII chips to go above 2-way? I thought the PII & PIII only
> supported single-bit processor IDs (unlike the PPro which had a two-bit ID).

http://www.intel.com/technology/itj/q12001/articles/art_6.htm

Intel discusses dual and quad P3 systems here. I know the original Pentium
could go quad--I just sold a Dell quad P166 late last month. But I've
never seen quad p2/p3 pure systems.

I would think the socket adapter would handle the ID... so it's between
the adapters and the chipset, just as if they were Pentium Pro.

Rob