[rescue] Re: Re: Re: Small serial terminal

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Feb 18 14:10:38 CST 2003

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 12:06:23PM -0800, Robert Novak wrote:
> > I'm just not one of the "MUZT RUN LINUX ON EVERYTHING" crowd.
> Is it time for the biweekly linux flamefest and troll-riling on rescue,
> Bill?

No.  Linux has its places, I just need a simple serial terminal.

I dont need to mess with X, or even want to have to mess with an underlying
operating system.  I want to be able to hit the power switch (that is, if
I turn it off) and have a serial communications connection come up, if
possible.

I'm not anti-linux; I just dont feel the need to use it for EVERYTHING.
Instead of a LRP router box, I have a Linksys NAT "appliance".  Instead of
a laptop running LINUX and minicom or somesuch, I'll have a "dumb" terminal.

Sometimes, simpler *is* better.

> I wasn't suggesting you run Linux on a VT terminal. However, I like to
> have multiple functions if I'm going to be using something as a mobile
> appliance. Troubleshooting a LAN with a serial terminal can be difficult
> or at least impractical.

The only need for this is as a mobile serial console for SPARC machines
and routers.  I'll have other boxes available for network troubleshooting.

> I hate to think how long this flamefest is going to go. Seeing more
> messages coming in. Sigh.

Not a flamefest, just an opinion.  I *LIKE* linux.  I admin it as part of
the job that pays the bills.  I just have a G4 running OS X on my desk, and
a couple of Solaris boxes as home fileservers.  Linux has its uses/places;
I just dont have any of them at home. 8-)

Bill

--
bill bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net