[rescue] Re: Re: Re: Small serial terminal

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Tue Feb 18 14:06:23 CST 2003

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 12:49:36AM -0800, Robert Novak wrote:
> > Yeah, but you couldn't run Linux-BBC with X and ssh and such on most VT
> > terminals. :) I may go pick it up for fun later this week.
>
> I'm just not one of the "MUZT RUN LINUX ON EVERYTHING" crowd.

Is it time for the biweekly linux flamefest and troll-riling on rescue,
Bill?

I wasn't suggesting you run Linux on a VT terminal. However, I like to
have multiple functions if I'm going to be using something as a mobile
appliance. Troubleshooting a LAN with a serial terminal can be difficult
or at least impractical.

If there's a *BSD or Solaris x86-based mini-cd live system with X and
memtest and ssh and network/troubleshooting tools, I'd use it. But even if
it is Linux, stuff like etherpeek and tcpdump and ssh and such are pretty
usefult o have, and if you have a network that's croaking and you can just
reboot one box and turn it into a Sniffer-ish thing, that's a neato
feature IMO.

I hate to think how long this flamefest is going to go. Seeing more
messages coming in. Sigh.

Rob