[rescue] Small serial terminal

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Feb 18 13:37:07 CST 2003

"R. Lonstein" <ross-sunhelp at lonsteins.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 09:09:03AM -0500, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > For dedicated terminal stuff I usually use a Compaq Contura Aero - it's
>
> I loved/hated that little compaq. It was great for occasions like
> needing a serial terminal or dropping onto a network to run tcpdump
> (and for playing VGA Planets, I dual booted mine with
> PCDOS). Particularly hated the pcmcia floppy drive and the way it
> would step the cpu down to half-speed when it was present at boot. And
> I still hate compaq's rompaqs and drivers.

I love it because of its small form factor.  The built-in trackball is also
pretty trick.  I've even got a docking station for it.  However, I hated the
fact that it only had one PCMCIA slot - if you want the floppy pugged in,
you get nothing else.  I also have no idea if it will boot a PCMCIA CDROM.

> 33MHz? Must have been a later model than the one I had, I had 16MHz.

Mine is a 4/33c - pretty cool little unit.  Largely unused these days
though.

--
Kurt                 " Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to flagellate
kurt at k-huhn.com        myself with a soldering iron."