[rescue] SGI temps?

Bjorn Ramqvist v53278 at g.haggve.se
Mon Feb 17 03:18:11 CST 2003

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> But basically I read this message as; "well I dunno why SGI put RDRAM
> there, but since it is SGI then they must be correct... however Intel just
> don't know what they are doing, so whatever reason they had to use RAMBUS
> it must be totally wrong." This is not only wrong, but rather biased.

No no no. Don't get me wrong here. I SHOULD have been more clear what I
was typing. SGI used RDRAM for texture memory, on their graphics cards.
Intel uses(used?) RDRAM for main memory and not for texture ram on the
graphics boards.
Big difference.

> Instead of using a very wide bus (a la SUN) they just used a set of
> narrower "fast" buses multiplexed together (this is acutally so that you
> can overlap the routing of these narrower buses on parallel layers of the
> PCB), thus you can reduce some of the cost of ultrawide bus routings.
> RAMBUS memories are quite narrow, and can match the speed of the
> sub-buses (both in latency and throughput).

You are right, but countless performance figures shows lacking
performance out of a probably good design thinking. Uhm. Intel + Good
design. Erh...

> Now, I hate RAMBUS not because of their technology, but rahter because
> of the legal crap they are trying to pull with the SDRAM patents.

That is another story.

/Bjorn