[rescue] Re: a worthy box

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Thu Feb 13 01:31:07 CST 2003

>Loomis, Rip wrote:
>>
>> Nah.  A 1000E is nice to have, but *this*
>>   http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3401768626
>
>How do you get 4 cpu boards and an io board in a 3500 chassis?  Are
>there 5 slots?  There are only 4 slots in my 3000.
>
>KL

That is exactly what I thought when I saw the auction listing. I understand
that the E3500 is the same chassis as the E3000 except for the 100MHz vs
83MHz backplanes. The E3000 needs at least a single I/O board or the
internal SCSI system has no controller and the system can't boot (the SCSI
controller is integrated on the I/O board). Since there are only four slots
in the chassis you are limited to at most three processor/memory boards. In
other words six CPUs is the maximum.

Please shoot me down if I've got this wrong.

Regards,

Gavin