[rescue] Sun memo regarding Java

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu Feb 13 13:23:21 CST 2003

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 02:06, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 11, 2003, at 08:00 PM, Frank Van Damme wrote:
> > That's a different matter, most of the people you say will never buy a
> > sparc, and will probably be better of with a 1 GHz pc too.
>
>    Better off?  I doubt that.

Well, pc's are made for kitchen-sink activities, sparcs for entreprise
stuff, reliable and scaleable servers etc. That's how I see it. Given you
want games, you'll probably want DirectX (unfortunately) and a pc laid out
like my new Soltek: memory bus, agp port and cpu on the northbridge, all
the rest at the tail on the southbridge.

> > If it works.
>
>    My point exactly.

:-)

> > I had some bad experience last days... got a new pc (well
> > mobo-case-cpu-mem), which at home didn't work; took it back to the
> > store,
> > they replaced the power supply, demonstrated me it worked; I return
> > home
> > with it, it's just as dead as something.
> >
> > That means: I have the same problem as before they changed the psu: the
> > thing's beeping all the time and doesn't boot. Extra detail: it didn't
> > do
> > that in the store, and I did NOT change ANY components before trying.
> > I can
> > add a video card if I like, stays neatly blank. Extremely frustrating
> > if
> > you SAW IT WORKS and just ceased doing that when you return home with
> > it.
>
>    Man, that SUCKS. :-(

Learned something new about PC's: they won't function without a graphics
card. So if you think the problem is not your video card because it does
exactly the same (=nothing) without that thing, you're probably wrong.

in any case: it now WORKS, which means: keep watching my scores at
distributed folding :-)

> >>    Unfortunately that approach doesn't work in situations where
> >> product
> >> liability may be a concern.
> >
> > I am just glad I don't have to care about "software + business".
>
>    Yeah well, unfortunately some of us make a living in this business.

My blessings.

--
Frank Van Damme
http://www.openstandaarden.be