[rescue] slow java code...an example of why it might be happening

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Tue Feb 11 21:36:42 CST 2003

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 07:14:32PM -0800, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> I got a real good laugh out of that - run my "clock.java" program,
> watch everybody's sessions hang/go slow - seems I didn't code a
> well-behaved piece of code. ;^)

Ahh.  My, approximately second program that I wrote on Solaris, in C,
was a program to brute force solve a math problem.  I solved it also,
but got points deducted for inelegentness.  Anyway, when I ran one copy
on an IPX, the machine got rather sluggish.  And I made the mistake of
leaving it -r-xr-xr-x.  So some punk gets the idea of using it to knock
another punks machine offline.  He runs 100 copies of the program on an
IPX and brings it to it's knees so hard that the machine had to be
stop-A rebooted.