[rescue] slow java code...an example of why it might be happ ening

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Tue Feb 11 12:26:15 CST 2003

> > His brain was trained to build an object, then "close the door" on
> > that object and completely forget how it works...as long as you
> > remember its interface, you can just use it anytime you want.
>
> That sound you just heard was a thousand CS professors' brains
> twitching.  You've just described OOP as it's -taught- in college.
> "Create it and forget it!  Now you've taught the computer how
> to do xyz,
> so you don't have to remember how."  It's a good idea up to a
> point, but
> the minute you throw any resource management into the picture,
> everything starts moving in slow motion.

	As a recent graduate with a CS degree I must say that you are
exactly correct. I only had one class with a section involving Big O theory
of optimizing and it was taught by a teacher that is best described as
brutal so everyone avoided his class. The other instructor that taught the
same class, which everyone took, did not teach this at all.

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org
http://www.whro.org