[rescue] Sun memo regarding Java

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Tue Feb 11 00:26:27 CST 2003

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 01:22:14AM -0500, sammy ominsky wrote:
> On Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003, at 01:03 US/Eastern, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
>
> > I'm not a fan of TCL.  RMS' paper on the topic explains it better than
> > can though.
>
> RMS is an idiot. His dislike of the language might be enough to make me
> try it if I hadn't yet.

I will be the first to admit that the original TCL design could be
improved.  The point is, it was.  Since v8.0 we have real binary
encoding handling, namespaces, etc.; all the things that kept RMS from
giving it his blessing have been fixed for the past 5 years.

This thread should probably die though, since like "vi vs. emacs" there is no clear programming langugage winner.

The mercenary in me wishes I HAD spent a lot of time learning Java so
I could charge accordingly.  TCL does not command the premium dinero.

--Patrick