[rescue] Sun memo regarding Java

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Mon Feb 10 22:44:28 CST 2003

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 11:46:57PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 11:29 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo
> +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
> > I really think that OTHER language from Sun, TCL, is a better language
> > than Java.
>
>    Does Sun "own" TCL now?  Does Ousterhout work for them now or
> something?

Sun sponsored it and for a while they funded Ousterhout.  I guess I
would have a dig into the history a little more to say whether O~ did
and then was hired by Sun, or did it while he was at Sun.

>    Also, this "better" thing...Better at what?  GUIs?  Network
> programming?  Database programming?

GUIs - check (TK, SpecTCL, decent geom. mgr, etc.)
Network programming - check (scotty, etc.)
Database programming - check (AOLserver, nstcl.sf.net, etc.)

What other tasks do you need?

> > Everything you talk about above is faster and easier in TCL than in
> > Java, and doesn't require 80MB of crud spewed across your spindles to
> > get it.
>
>    Yeah but TCL is an interpreted scripting language.  Most companies
> don't like to give out their source code.

There are tools to obfuscate and lock it.  You can dump just the
bytecodes and load only that into the interpreter, IIRC.  Which is
about as good as you will get from Java, right?

>    80MB of crud spewed across your spindles?  What Java are YOU running,
> man?

OK, enlighten me, how much disk does your development environment
take?  I had to download about 20MB compressed of stuff.

hmmm, on my OpenBSD box running Linux emul Java:

 du -sk jdk1.3.1-linux/
56678   jdk1.3.1-linux/

OK, 60MB instead of 80MB.  No extra classes, no docs in that part of
the tree.

Cordially
| Patrick Giagnocavo, patrick at zill.net             |
| Zill.Net - OpenACS, Postgres, Python hosting     |
| OpenACS v4 shared server       $39.99/month      |
| Colocation w/30GB transfer     $99.00/month      |
| Managed servers (incl. system) $175/month        |