[rescue] sparc sparcs

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 10 21:20:57 CST 2003

--- Frank Van Damme <frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think I have a slight problem with my sparcstation 2. Shut it down
> cleanly  the day before yesterday but now I get a error message :
>
> The IDPROM contents are invalid

<snip>

> It also shows the MAC adress of the onboard ethernet as
> ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff.
>
> wtf is going on here? Did a good box just come to a sudden death?

Heh - I had a conversation with my wife the other day, she wasn't
getting the concept of working, then not working. She kept saying "but
it was just working?"

I had to explain to her that up until the point it breaks, yes, it
worked fine.

The battery died/gave up the juice while running on line power. Now
that it is relying on the battery in the chip, the ID PROM contents are
invalid...

Sorry,

=====
Lionel