[rescue] Re: Sun Monitor on an SGI

JJ Streicher-Bremer jj at ratisle.net
Mon Feb 10 10:03:23 CST 2003

I have to apologize to the list for my question without more research on my
part.

I searched the comp.sys.sgi.* newsgroups and came up with a definite "maybe"
for the answer.  My sun monitor is a newer 21" model with dual inputs (OEMed
by Sony) model  X7121A (P/N 365-1383-01) which, according to the docs, does
support sync-on-green.  Also this is a multi-sync monitor, so the
resolution/refresh rates should work too.

Now, there seem to be conflicting stories about the cable I need.  I have read
both "It will work just fine as-is", "Just break off all the small pins and
you are good to go", and "Rewire pins x to y inside the monitor".  So, it
seems that I will not actually harm my monitor by just trying it out first.

I'll reply with more information when my SGI arrives.  I spent my whole "fun"
budget of $250 on this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2305353412

Since it comes with the install media and an extra sled, it seems like an OK
deal to me.

Thanks again
JJ