[rescue] SPARCstation LX heat problem

John Ruschmeyer jruschme at comcast.net
Mon Feb 10 15:27:19 CST 2003

I recently picked up an LX with what appears to be an overheating
problem. Basically, when I first got it, it would run for a while, then
freeze or get a Watchdog Error. Upon trying to reboot, it would fail to
POST with an "FP stuck bits" error, "suspect Tsunami module".

My first reaction was to replace the PS with one from a Classic whose
fan seemed to have better output. This did not seem to help, so I tried
running with the top propped open. That seemed to work fine, so I went
back in. This time, I took the little shield off of the CPU (Tsunami, I
presume), took off the layer of dust (presuming it was acting as an
insulator), and replaced the shield. Also, taking a page from
obsolyte.com, I removed the speaker assembly to gain access to venting
near the CPU. As of this writing, it has been running for just shy of 48
hours with no problems.

So, I'm wondering, has anyone else ever had an LX overheat this way? Any
suggestions for more permanent/elegant solutions?

I'm thinking of replacing the fan in the original PS with a heftier one.
Anybody know the physical and electrical specs for it?

Lastly, anybody know of a source for cheap LX/Classic memory? Anybody
want to trade a couple of 32mb Sparc 20 DIMMS (and a couple of 16mb
ones) for some 16 (or 32 :-) mb LX/Classic ones?

<<<john>>>