[rescue] SGI Indigo 2

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Mon Feb 10 15:23:17 CST 2003

Oh... R10K 195MHz

And boy does this thing throw out heat !

I had a weird SCSI problem... what I found was that the aftermarket ?
(it is teal colored like the teal Indigo 2 systems) did not have the
SCSI target cable connected to the drive (now in my mind it should then
just have repored on SCSI ID 0)... the drive was reporting on all SCSI
targets !

Connecting that cable still had it report all SCSI targets when in the
top slot, but report as ID4 in the bottom slot (which should be ID 1
correct ?).  Taking the drive out, I discovered that the three target
wires came to a junction before the drive target connector (two junctions
actually, one for the ground, and one for the three ID lines).  I flipped
these, reinstalled, and now it reports as target 2 in the top slot and
is no longer reporting on all SCSI target IDs.

So, now it looks good, and I'm proceeding to try to break in... don't
have the root password.  I'd assume root password recovery is similar
in Irix to that on a Sun... so I should be in soon enough :-)

-- Curt

Reducing things to one drive at a time, the cdrom whows up as target
3 in hinv... the first drive (lower one) shows up as