[rescue] Re: Re[2]: Speaking of Solaris GUI options...

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sat Feb 8 01:13:26 CST 2003

On Sat, 8 Feb 2003, Yuri K wrote:

> Hello Patrick,
>
> PG1723> For OSX, you better have a G3 running at 600Mhz or better and 256MB
> PG1723> RAM.
>
>       That's when it stops to choke, but one can't call it breathing
>       yet.  G4/800 with 512 MB is when it starts breathing,

I think there's a lot of missed "YMMV" here mixed with a healthy dose of
TOMA. Either that, or you guys took the wrong pill.

I found a G3 266 with 256mb of ram and Twin Turbo graphics to be quite
usable for desktop tasks.... the 500mhz iBook even did Office X and a
couple of web browsers pretty well. And I'm far from an Apple apologist.
I'd probably still be using my iBook for writing and Internet if it had
come with a DVD drive.

Mind you, I wouldn't do multilayer rendering in Photoshop on the 266mhz
machine. Any machine has its limits. But saying you need a g4/800 to use
the OS is absurd.

Darn, what am I doing under this bridge?

Rob