[rescue] 128 bits...

deanders at pcisys.net deanders at pcisys.net
Thu Feb 6 22:05:55 CST 2003

At 07:57 PM 2/6/2003 -0800, you wrote:
<snip>
>I think that may make sense up to a point, but 64 bit address space is
>a bit huge... I am fascinated by the idea of a CPU that addresses
>directly into secondary storage, data files exists as address
>locations, not inodes or sectors/tracks/platters on a SCSI ID...

That's actually interesting. Has it ever been tried before? (Presumably not
with a 64-bit address space...)

Of course, you'd have to have almost completely new hardware...hmm.

Admittedly, anything I say is from the perspective of a CS student who just
finished his mandatory x86 assembly class (not sure why we couldn't have
done MIPS, which is what at least one of the other two schools in the CU
system teach assembly on), so it's not like I have a complete grasp of what
would be involved.

It still sounds like an interesting idea.

Derek Andersen