[rescue] 128 bits...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 6 21:57:18 CST 2003

--- Scott Newell <newell at cei.net> wrote:
> How 'bout another special case: networking processor designed for
> IPv6?
> IPv6 addresses are 128bits, right?  Seems like there'd be some
> advantage in being able to ram those through an ALU in one fell
> swoop.  Granted, you can do this now if you want, and it wouldn't
> require widening the entire CPU to 128 bits.

Well, since I don't open up NICs and switches, I wouldn't "see" this
type of application...

> >I suspect (but have no direct knowledge - Dave M. help me), I
> >think 64 bits are a waste for most end-user applications. OTOH,
> >I am sure it is great for certain applications.
>
> At current memory density/price rates, how long before it would be
> affordable (say, $100k) to fully populate a 64 bit address space?

And you would load and store that data on what? At what I/O speed?

> My gut feel (and maybe I'm wrong here, not having done any research
> on it) is that a wider arch starts to get a lot more attractive as
> soon as you can reasonably fill the address space of the previous,
> narrow, arch.

I think that may make sense up to a point, but 64 bit address space is
a bit huge... I am fascinated by the idea of a CPU that addresses
directly into secondary storage, data files exists as address
locations, not inodes or sectors/tracks/platters on a SCSI ID...

=====
Lionel

http://mailplus.yahoo.com