[rescue] Solaris on a PPC

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Feb 6 14:36:18 CST 2003

On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 02:19 PM, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> So does anyone think we will eventually see 128 bit architectures?

   For technical reasons?  No.  For marketing reasons?  Probably.

   So, probably.

   This isn't really a "640K ought to be enough for anybody" situation.
Unless you're talking about SIMD instructions like VIS, I see no real
need for a 128-bit data path.  If we start seeing more applications in
which larger-than-64-bit numbers are being manipulated using iterative
techniques, then that may change.

        -Dave