[rescue] Solaris on a PPC

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Feb 6 10:16:11 CST 2003

On 2003.02.06 15:34 Scott Newell wrote:

> >> It also means instability, and an Alpha that needs a BIOS to boot.
> 'needs a BIOS to boot'?  I'm confused--wouldn't an Alpha need a BIOS
> to boot anything other than a ROM based OS?
Seams that he is reffering to the "ARC BIOS" / "Alpha BIOS" / "ARC
firmware" that you need on an Alpha to boot NT. NT is all what ARC can
boot. (And Linux with some ugly, dirty, bad and evil hacks.) All other
i.e. real operating systems use a completely different firmware, the
SRM.
BTW: As a VAX man I feelt "at home" when I came in contact with an Alpha
SRM the first time. Very similar to the VAX bootpromt... :-)
--

tsch|_,
         Jochen