[rescue] Re: 20th Anniversary Mac

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Wed Feb 5 15:07:00 CST 2003

>Dave McGuire wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 05:32 PM, Brian wrote:
>>
>>> Probably because there is much greater demand for the fiber
>>> implementation
>>> in the business arena, likely due to its greater distance capabilities.
>>

>>   What is the distance spec for GigE over copper, anyone know offhand?
>>
>>       -Dave
>>
>> --
>> Dave McGuire                 "Rubber duckies *are* important."
>> St. Petersburg, FL                            -Doc Shipley
>
>I believe it is the same as 100Mb (300ft).
>
>shawn

There are actually two different kinds of GigE over copper wiring systems.
The initial GigE spec (IEEE 802.3z) was released in 1998 and didn't include
UTP because there were a lot of technical issues to sort out. The copper
implementation they chose back them is called 1000BaseCX and it runs over a
150-Ohm balanced & shielded copper cable. I have only ever seen it on one
site - it is quite distinctive as the interface connector is a DB9. The
maximum cable run of 1000BaseCX is only 25m.

The GigE over UTP spec (IEEE 802.3ab) was released several years later and
as Shawn has said, has a maximimum cable run of 100m.

Regards,

Gavin