[rescue] IBM rescue choice

Robert Rose rr at rits.com.au
Tue Feb 4 02:38:39 CST 2003

OK, I have a choice to make:

4 IBM boxen (possibly) up for rescue, I can pick one or possibly 2 as
shipping will cost a bit (if you want in on this Gavin, it can be arranged,
but they're in Tassie).  I can ask for more details on specific hosts once
I've made my choice, but all I have to go on is:

a) 43P-140
b) F40, 2CPUs
c) F40, 2CPUs but no RAID*
d) G30, 4CPUs

[*] I assume this means b has some form of RAID card/disk/something

Now I've got a 43P-140 at work that I've just dug out of storage, so I have
some idea of what option a would be like, but the googling I've done for
F40 and G30 has shown some possible specs, but specs are no real substitute
for bum-on-seat experience.  Given the amount of IBM experience on the
list, I'd appreciate input into which one or two I should pick, and then
specific questions I should ask the vendor to try and find out more useful
details before making an offer.  Powering up systems or taking to them with
a screwdriver is out of the question.

Rob.