[rescue] de-racking RL02s?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Feb 3 13:02:13 CST 2003

On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 12:22 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:
> How the heck do I get an RL02 to let me slide it COMPLETELY OUT of its
> rails
> and de-rack it?

   Pull it all the way out until it hits its stops.  Remove any screws
that you see going through the innermost/frontmost rails going into the
drive.  Note that there's a piece of metal sticking out of (and riveted
to) the side of the drive that sits *on top of* that part of the
slide...don't try to remove that.

   When all the screws are out, you should be able to lift the front of
the drive just enough to take the weight off the slides, then push them
back one at a time.  If they don't move, you've missed a screw
somewhere.  There should be a little metal clip with a rubber bumper on
it coming down from the top and sticking through a slot in the
slide...lift it up and push the slides the rest of the way back,
keeping a hand in the front handle of the drive.  You should then be
able to remove it.  Bear in mind most of the weight is in the rear,
though they're quite light for being big disk drives.

   This is a long-winded description but the procedure is actually
pretty simple.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                 "Rubber duckies *are* important."
St. Petersburg, FL                            -Doc Shipley